Friday, June 6, 2014

Watercress


Today I spent some time thinning plants in the streambed that runs between two of our ponds. I constantly battle a rather invasive cloverlike plant that appeared out of nowhere, forms huge root mats that require considerable effort to extract from under the rocks, blocks the flow of water until the riverbanks overflow, crowds out more desirable plants, and in general makes a nuisance of itself.

The watercress in the picture above is a nicer plant. Although I have to periodically thin it out, it doesn't form root mats like the clover, and stays out of the deeper water where my water lilies are. Maybe we ought to start eating our thinnings, according to this article. Watercress sandwiches, anyone?

3 comments:

Debbie said...

One of your posts inspired us to put up a pergola! Jeff started working on it today!

Lorraine said...

How exciting! I want to see pictures!

Anonymous said...

We eat watercress on our salads - I like it! Laurel