Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Tomatoes to the fourth power


I picked four kinds of tomatoes this morning. The dark ones in the upper left are Purple Cherokee, an heirloom variety I tried for the first time this year. The bright red ones at lower left are Early Girl, one of the most consistently reliable varieties I've found. The lighter red ones at upper right are from a plant that survived the winter and put out new growth this spring. Its marker label disappeared, so I'm not sure what kind it is. The yellow ones are Yellow Pear, which is probably my favorite taste-wise because of their sweetness and low acidity.

No sign of blossom end rot on any of these tomatoes, although one of the mystery tomatoes has a little sun scald spot. You're supposed to cover tomatoes with shade cloth this time of year, but these are all uncovered. With the exception of the mystery tomato, they are all on the north side of our house, so they get some natural shade.

One of my favorite ways to serve fresh tomatoes is to chop them up and marinate them in a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, along with whatever chopped fresh herbs I might want to toss in. Using different varieties provides a nice color contrast in the presentation, too. And they are so much better than store-bought tomatoes, which I think are flavorless and mealy.


No comments: