Friday, April 4, 2014

Interview in the garden


This morning we met with Cathy Cromwell, a Master Gardener who has written several books on gardening in the desert. Last year she sent an email out to the Master Gardener listserv looking for people who combined edible with ornamental plants in their home gardens for an article she wanted to write for Phoenix Home and Garden magazine. When I mentioned this to my retiree lunch group, some of them persuaded me to send in pictures of our garden for consideration, so I sent a link to this blog. It didn't work out for her to come last year because we had so much frost damage, but she contacted me a couple of weeks ago and said she'd like to see our backyard and interview us.

I was really nervous about the interview, because she is such an experienced and knowledgeable Master Gardener and I thought our garden was probably too eclectic and imperfect to be magazine-worthy. However, she put me at ease by saying "I don't know what you were worried about", and we sat out on the patio while she asked us questions and typed notes on her laptop. At the conclusion of the interview and yard tour, she said she thought it would make an interesting article, although it might not be published for another year. She is concerned that she might not be able to schedule a photographer to come out and take pictures for several weeks, and the garden won't be at its best once the heat sets in.

So, stay tuned and I'll let you know what happens! And if you're looking for good books on gardening, here's a list of Cathy's books:

Composting for Dummies (author)
Desert Water Gardening for Beginners (author)
Desert Gardening for Beginners (co-author)
Success with School Gardens (co-author)
Earth-Friendly Desert Gardening (co-author)
Better Homes and Gardens New Garden Book (co-writer)
Sunset's Gardening in the Southwest (contributing writer)
Desert Landscaping for Beginners (editor)

No comments: