Sunday, April 13, 2014

Flower mash-up


I noticed that one of our older rosebushes has two kinds of roses blooming on the same bush. The cream colored rose is what I planted....I think it is the "Peace" cultivar, and this year there are also red roses growing from one of the spurs. I assume the red roses are from a rootstock onto which the cream roses were grafted.

To add to the flower mash-up, larkspur and coreopsis have come up on their own in the middle of the rosebush. So far the rose doesn't appear to be suffering, so I have left them alone. The larkspur probably won't last much longer, but coreopsis will keep growing through the summer and into late fall, and can get quite large. I might have to extract it from the rosebush at some point, which could be a painful undertaking.

No comments: