Wednesday, March 19, 2014

All good things...


I've been away from our garden for a week, visiting my mother in Alabama. She's probably where I got the gardening bug, although gardening is quite different in Alabama. When I returned I decided it was time to take out the snap peas. Their best days are gone: I don't see any new pea pods and very few blossoms, and if I wait too long it will be too hot to plant something new in their spot.

The tall plant in the back of this bed is cilantro, which flowered while I was gone and not pinching it back every day. I think I'll leave it like this, as I understand cilantro is good for bees, along with a number of other plants I have.

After I harvest all the peas from the vines I pull up, I'm going to chop up the vines and use them for mulch in another part of the garden. Perhaps some of the dried peas I leave on the vine will surprise me by coming up nest spring.

No comments: