Monday, March 3, 2014

A disappointment of broccoli


I'm disappointed in the results of the second planting of broccoli. We set these transplants out in January, and the small heads are already beginning to flower. It seems to do much better when planted in the fall and allowed to grow slowly through the winter. There just isn't enough leafy growth to support big heads of broccoli in these plants, and I assume the flowering is a function of day length and temperature.

The romaine lettuce transplants I set out at the same time have not done so well either. I bought transplants because of all the salad greens I planted in the fall, only arugula came up. About half the transplants have succumbed suddenly to an unknown problem. One day they appear healthy; the next morning they are wilted and limp.

No comments: