Saturday, November 7, 2015

Time to squeeze the key limes

Key lime tree

I'm not sure how old our Key lime tree is, but it is very prolific. Back when we planted it, I didn't consider that there was a size difference between Key limes and the fruit one usually sees labeled "lime" in grocery stores. The taste is similar, but Key limes are much smaller; they're ping-pong ball size or slightly larger. Also known as Mexican limes they're often served as a garnish for Mexican beers. When fully ripe, they are yellow rather than green.

Average-sized key lime
Yesterday we picked quite a few, and today I decided to juice them for limeade. It's a time consuming process because it takes about 100 of them to equal a pint of juice.

A sink full of limes

First, I threw them all in the sink to wash them. There are a few of the larger Bearrs limes in this batch, too.

Juicing limes

Then I cut them in half and started juicing. I've found that this kind of hand juicer works better on smaller fruits than the electric juicer I use for lemons, Bearrs limes, and oranges.

The juice of about 200 limes

It took about an hour to juice them all, and I got about 4 cups of juice...

Future compost

...and a big bowlful of rinds, which I'll pulverize in our Vitamix and recycle into the garden as compost.

Fresh limeade!

To make limeade, I used about 1 1/2 cups of sugar, 2 cups of juice, and 6 cups of water. It's really a "to taste" kind of thing, but this yielded what to me was a tasty glass of limeade. Cheers!

No comments: