Friday, November 13, 2015

More salad fixins


Various lettuces (and other things)

Spinach
Even if the tomatoes take a hit, we should have plenty of salad greens by Christmas. I'm not sure which kinds of lettuces are coming up in the picture to the left, but in addition to the ubiquitous nasturtiums, I see several tomato seedlings and I think a potato growing in their midst. Because spinach doesn't sprout very readily, at least for me, I started seedlings in peat pots a few weeks ago and moved them outside once they sprouted. Now that true leaves are appearing, it looks like I will actually have some spinach this year.


This little mandarin orange tree is loaded with fruit. In the winter months, when we generally don't have tomatoes, I like to use citrus sections in green salads. We should have plenty from this tree!

No comments: