Friday, February 21, 2014

Weeding my own garden


Peaches, nasturtium, and larkspur are beginning to bloom, but so are spring weeds. They seem to sprout up full grown overnight, and I don't know where they are finding the moisture to grow like this because the soil was pretty dry. (Better check the drip lines before the really hot weather sets in) It's not possible to get rid of this particular spring rite of passage, because the seeds blow in from all over the neighborhood, but I try to get rid of them before they flower and dump the bulk of their seeds where they stand.

As I sometimes do, I started thinking while I was weeding. One of my pet peeves is the tendency of some people to point out the failings of others.  I find it particularly egregious when religious people feel it is their duty to warn others they are sinning in some particular way, usually a sin that they themselves aren't tempted to commit. I can speak only from my own faith perspective and study of the Bible, but from what I understand from the teachings of Jesus, I've got enough to do weeding my own garden. I think that if one reads the Bible and finds things to apply to other people, he or she is reading it the wrong way.

Matthew 7 quotes Jesus as saying, "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye". That seems pretty clear to me.

 I'll never get all the weeds out of my garden, or out of my life, so I'd better concentrate on weeding my own garden and making it into something beautiful. If someone admires my garden and wants to know how I did it, I'll be glad to tell them.

No comments: