Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Winter squash vines


A couple of winter squash vines have escaped their raised bed and are snaking about eight feet across the grass under the apple tree. This is the first time I've tried winter squash, and I planted them in late February when I planted everything else. They've bloomed, but not set any fruit so far.

We finally got some rain from the monsoon activity yesterday. Rain is particularly welcome here because the high mineral content of the water coming through the drip lines can cause salt buildup in the soil, and burn the plants. A good monsoon storm helps wash all that stuff down away from the root zone.

Yesterday was the first day of the fall Master Gardener training class. I completed the class in 2010, so I'm volunteering as a mentor to interns taking the class, and Mike is taking the class as an intern. It's an intensive training, much like a college class in scope, and runs for three hours once a week for seventeen weeks. Each week we have a lecturer on a different topic, chosen from experts in that particular area. It's a very worthwhile experience and I'd recommend it for anyone seriously interested in gardening.

No comments: