Monday, July 1, 2013

Crockpot apple butter


At this time of year, I really hate living in Phoenix. It's much too hot for me to enjoy working in the yard. I ventured outdoors long enough this morning to pick enough Ein Shemer apples to try out this apple butter recipe: http://frugalliving.about.com/od/fruitbutters/r/Apple-Butter-Recipe.htm

I was a bit concerned about how it would turn out, because I think the apples were precooked to some extent. I had to cut out a lot of sunburned spots as I was peeling, coring, and chopping, and some were rather mealy in texture. I wound up making a few changes to this recipe, too. After the chopped apples had cooked for a few hours, I pureed them with an immersion blender. I also added some apple cider to the mixture because I thought they were drying out too quickly in the uncovered crockpot. It turned out somewhat chunky, but still quite tasty, and the house smells wonderful!

No comments: