Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Chop, drop, and grow

April 27, 2016

One of my favorite permaculture gardening techniques is "chop and drop". Instead of digging spent plants out by the roots, cut them off at ground level. Leave the roots to compost in place, and chop up the leaves and stems and drop them wherever you like.

This has several advantages, not the least of which is I am a rather lazy gardener and it doesn't take a lot of time or effort. It doesn't disturb the layers of beneficial microbes, bugs, and worms; you're less likely to damage the roots of desirable plants; it recycles nutrients back into the soil so that less fertilizer is needed; and it provides a cooling, moisture-conserving barrier that is very helpful in our summer heat.

Sometimes I chop-and-drop in place, but often I take plants I've allowed to go to seed from one place, and chop and drop them somewhere else in the garden. For example, here is some assorted lettuces that I allowed to go to seed...


Lettuce and larkspur

 ....and here is one of the places I decided to chop-and-drop them, at the edge of the side patio. I think that would be a nice place to find lettuce growing once it cools off in the fall.


Chopped-and-dropped lettuce

Part of the fun of gardening for me is finding surprises, and letting things go to seed, followed by chopping, dropping, and scattering usually creates the conditions for many future surprises. Rather like the proverbial box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

Today's harvest: tomatoes, zucchini, beans


No comments: