Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Zinnias and tomatoes, round 2


We usually get two rounds of zinnias each year. The first shows up in late May and peaks in June and July. They're usually looking pretty bad in August, with more brown than green leaves, so I pull them up and scatter the seeds. By September new seedlings start appearing, and they'll usually bloom through November. I haven't bought zinnia seeds for several years because they reseed so readily. This tomato plant was also a volunteer, so I have no idea what kind it is, but it has several nice-sized, oddly shaped tomatoes which will hopefully ripen before freezing temperatures get here and destroy the vines. Fall tomatoes are always chancy. They won't set fruit when the temperatures are too hot, but as the days shorten, they ripen much more slowly, even with moderately warm daytime temperatures. I don't recommend buying plants to try in the fall, but I'm willing to give a volunteer a chance to see what it will do.

No comments: