Thursday, January 10, 2013

Brr!

Could be interesting here over the weekend as a hard freeze lasting several days is predicted. We'll move the plumeria into the garage again, but I'm not going to bother trying to save the tomatoes. I did pick about two quarts of green tomatoes and about a dozen peppers. Those plants will definitely be gone by this time next week, and probably the nasturtiums and petunias as well. If this forecast proves accurate, I expect the bougainvillea, tecoma, thevetia, lantana and hibiscus will be killed to the ground and I'll need to think seriously about harvesting and juicing citrus. On the bright side, I won't have to worry about cutting back the snail and lilac vines that are again threatening to encroach on our HOA no-man's land- nature will take care of that job for me. I just wish the cold weather would do to the weeds what it is going to do to desirable plants!

This area of the Valley definitely gets cooler than it did in our previous two locations. We never noticed frost damage on the landscape plants there.

No comments: