Monday, December 3, 2012

What not to do with basil

"Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us."



This picture shows what you are not supposed to do to basil, or for that matter, most herbs. You're supposed to snip off the flower tops, because letting it go to seed will diminish the quality and flavor of the leaves. I was reminded of that this morning when I read this article on storing and preserving herbs. Fortunately, we typically won't get basil-killing freezing weather in the Phoenix for several more weeks, so if I cut them off now, there's still time for new leaves to sprout.

In our church, we recite the Lord's Prayer each week before communion. Perhaps that's why this thought came to me this morning while I was giving this basil a haircut. Gardens are more forgiving than we as people tend to be. That's fortunate for me, because I make lots of mistakes in gardening.

No comments: