Monday, May 16, 2011

Fresh Peaches- Get 'em while they last!


"As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. The life of mortals is like grass, they flourish like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more."

I picked the last of the early peaches today, and there are only a couple of apricots left. We had fewer than usual this year because of the timing of the last freeze, and I probably could have gotten more if I'd been more aggressive about picking them before the birds got to them. We've tried using netting in the past to protect them from bird incursions, but it's somewhat cumbersome, not wholly effective, and I don't really mind sharing with the birds. If I get to eat all the tree-ripened fresh peaches I want, why should I mind if the birds enjoy a few as well?

Such a short season- two weeks maybe- for fresh peaches. But, so many things in life are transitory, and how often do we miss enjoying the present while worrying about, or trying to control, the future? Perhaps we should just enjoy- and share- the peaches while we can.

No comments: